This edition of Passing of the Pioneers is a joint one with both July and August obituaries. The pioneers include graziers, a butcher, a commercial traveller and a man with 104 descendants at the time of his death. They came from right across the Western District from Beeac to Carapook and places in between. As usual, any underlined text is a link to a further information about a subject.
MANIFOLD, Peter – Died 31 July 1885 at Purrumbete. Peter Manifold was born around 1817 in Cheshire, England. With his parents and siblings, Peter travelled to Tasmania around 1831. In 1836 Peter was around nineteen years old and he and his brother set off for Victoria. They settled at Batesford for a few years before deciding to look at the land further west in 1838 Peter and his brother John arrived at the Stony Rises and climbed Mount Porndon. Below they saw expansive grass plains and Lake Purrumbete and they knew it was the place for them.
Peter was a member of the Hampden and Heytesbury Roads Board from 1859 and then the Hampden Shire Council. From 1877 he a was a member of the cemetery trust. He never married. You can read a biography of the Manifold brothers on the link to the Australian Dictionary of Biography-http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/manifold-peter-2840
PATTERSON, George Robertson – Died 9 July 1912 at Casterton. George Patterson was born in Glasgow in 1841. He arrived in Victoria with his parents in 1850. In 1858, he went to live at Warrock with his uncle George Robertson.
Around 1873, George purchased his own land, the property Capaul on the Glenelg River in the Dergholm district. In 1876, he married Mary Grace Simson of neighbouring Roseneath and a son George was born in 1877 followed by Isobel in 1879, Charles in 1881, and Hugh in 1883. Sadly Mary died in 1885 at St Kilda leaving four children under ten. In April 1890, George remarried to Ireland born Sara Guilbride in Christchurch, New Zealand. George managed Roseneath and took over much of the management of Warrock in his uncle’s last years. George inherited Warrock after his uncle’s death in 1890. From 1882-1889, George was a Glenelg Shire councillor. He also contributed financially to the Presbyterian church, the Casterton Hospital and the Casterton Pastoral & Agriculture Society. Sara died in 1908 at Casterton and George died four years later leaving an estate of more than £92,000
PALMER, Thomas McLeod – Died 31 July 1915 at Elsternwick. Thomas Palmer was born in London, England in 1831. His father was an officer with the East India Company. In 1838, Thomas with his parents and nine siblings left England for Tasmania. He was educated at Launceston Grammar School then worked in a merchant’s office. In 1850 he left for the Californian diggings and returned to Australia in 1854 taking up Dederang station south of Albury. Thomas arrived in the Western District in 1863 after purchasing Grassmere station. He also purchased Tooram a dairy farm near Allansford. In 1864, Thomas married Elizabeth Miller.
George’s innovative farming methods saw him put Tooram on the map for its dairy and cheesemaking. George also raised pigs at Tooram and produced bacon. It was a large concern and required many workers and that was how George come to employ a large group of Afghan men in 1883. An incident in March 1883 in which one of the Afghans was killed, saw Thomas in court facing manslaughter charges. He was later acquitted.
Thomas’ wife Elizabeth died in 1888 at the age of forty-seven and poor health forced Thomas to retire around 1890 but he still kept an interest in the industry. Thomas was also on the Warrnambool Shire Council. At the time of his death, Thomas had one son and two daughters.
Two interesting articles about Tooram are on the following links http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article142438769 http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article142438520 You can also read Thomas’ biography at the Australian Dictionary of Biography on the link http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/palmer-thomas-mcleod-4360
HOPE, Ann – Died 20 July 1916 at Kirkstall. Ann Hope was born around 1832 in Haddington, Scotland. She married Barnabas Hamilton and they left for Portland aboard Othani arriving in 1854. The couple settled at Kirkstall and remained there for the rest of their lives at their property Hopefield. When they first arrived the land was bush and Ann remembered the “old hands” or former convicts from Tasmania employed in the district. Barnabas died in 1907 and Ann in 1916. She left three sons and two daughters and was buried at the Tower Hill Cemetery.
In 1937, a diary written by Barnabas Hamilton was found in a box belonging to his son. It described his and Ann’s departure from Scotland and his first employment in Victoria. It also included a description of Sing Sing Prison in New York, visited by Barnabas before he went to Australia. You can see more about Barnabas’ diary on the link to the Camperdown Chronicle http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article28320120
CUMMING, Thomas Forest – Died 30 July 1918 at Toorak.
Thomas Cumming was born in Melbourne at a property on the corner of Flinders and Elizabeth Streets on 26 September 1842. He went to school at Robert Lawson’s Melbourne Academy which later became Scotch College. His father John Cumming purchased Stony Point station on Mount Emu Creek near Darlington while his older brother John Jr purchased nearby Terrinallum in 1857. When Thomas finished school he went to work for John at Terrinallum learning about all things agricultural. When John Cumming Sr. died, Thomas inherited Stony Point and began improving the merino stock introducing new bloodlines.
In 1865, Thomas married Selina Dowling and they went on to have five sons and three daughters.
In time Thomas also bought a sheep station on the Darling River in NSW. In the 1870s Thomas purchased Hyde Park station near Cavendish with John Simson, father-in-law of George Patterson (see obituary above). A leader in the breeding industry, he was the founder of the Australian Sheep Breeders Association in 1877. He was a longtime secretary with the association and was still on the committee at the time of his death.
In 1881, Thomas sold Stony Point but retained his interest in Hyde Park. It was also in 1881 Thomas became the member for Western Provence in the Legislative Council, retaining the seat until 1888. He moved to Melbourne and ran a land valuation and stock agency business in Collins Street Melbourne. From 1900, he was president of the Old Scotch Collegians and in 1904, President of the Royal Agriculture Society. He also sat on the Closer Settlement board and Licence Reduction board. You can read more about Thomas Cumming at the Australian Dictionary of Biography on the link http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/cumming-thomas-forrest-273
BEVAN, Thomas – Died 23 August 1915 at Beeac. Thomas Bevan was born around 1829 in Devonshire, England. He married Elizabeth Eastlake and they left for Australia, arriving at Geelong around 1851. In 1863, Thomas and Elizabeth settled at Beeac. Thomas was a devout Methodist and was a local preacher for the church for fifty-one years. He also conducted the Methodist church choir and was the Sunday School superintendent for fourteen years. Thomas was also a member of the Rechabite Order, a Justice of the Peace for twenty years and trustee of the Beeac Cemetery at the time of his death. Thomas survived his wife Elizabeth, who died in 1895, by twenty years. At the time of his death, Thomas had four sons, eight daughters, fifty-four grandchildren and thirty-eight great-grandchildren, a total of 104 descendants.
FRASER, John Alexander – Died 9 August 1917 at Hamilton. John Fraser was born in Inverness, Scotland around 1834 and arrived in Australia by 1877. With his wife Mary Dugalda Mackiehan, John lived in Warrnambool and was employed by Messrs Patterson in the town. He later obtained work with Rolfe & Co, wholesale merchants of Melbourne and his life as a commercial traveller began. For thirty years, John travelled the roads of the wider Hamilton district as a representative of Rolfe & Co. His home during much of that time was in Hawthorn. John was a member of the Commercial Travellers Association and gained the respect of all who did business with him. He was described in his obituary as, “overflowing with Scottish sentiment and a fund of national anecdote, he was a most-interesting raconteur.” On 9 August 1917, John still working at eighty-three, stopped by his room at the Argyle Arms Hotel in Gray Street, Hamilton before catching a train home. He suddenly took ill at the hotel, collapsed and died. He was buried at Hamilton (Old) Cemetery, leaving a widow and three sons. On 13 November 1917, a memorial stone donated by fellow commercial travellers was unveiled at John’s grave.
SMITH, George – Died 16 August 1917 at Melbourne. George Smith was born in the Chetwynd district west of Casterton in 1853. His father died when he was three and his mother remarried. George became a butcher and operated a shop in Henty Street, Casterton (below).
He married Mary Gill in 1874. In 1900, George sold his business and in time became the ranger and health inspector for the Glenelg Shire Council. At the time of his death, George left his widow, Mary and nine children. One of George’s daughters Grace married Jonathan Diwell, my first cousin 3 x removed.
KELLY, James – Died August 1917 at Hamilton. James Kelly was born in County Armagh, Ireland and married Rose Etta Jackson there. James and Rose arrived at Portland in 1857 where they stayed for a short time before James decided to try his luck at the Bendigo diggings. By 1860, the Kellys had settled at Hamilton. James worked for the Hamilton Borough Council and was a member of the Ancient Order of Foresters. When James died in 1917, he left his widow Rose, two sons and two daughters. Rose died on 22 January 1918 and was buried with James at the Hamilton (Old) Cemetery.
MILBURN, William – Died 15 August 1918 at Casterton. William Milburn was born in Durham, England around 1837. He arrived in Victoria around the age of twenty-one and went to the Ballarat diggings. While in Ballarat, he married Mary Coxon in 1863. The following year William selected land near Carapook, north-east of Casterton. When the Retreat estate on the Glenelg River was subdivided, William purchased a block and named it Olive Grove. He lived there for twenty years before moving to Jackson Street, Casterton about 1917. William was eighty-one at the time of his death and left his widow Mary, four sons and six daughters. You can read more about William and Mary’s family on the link to Glenelg & Wannon Settlers & Settlement – www.swvic.org/carapook/names/milburn.htm
FREEMAN, Alice Maria – Died 28 August 1951 at Portland. Alice Freeman was born in Mount Barker, South Australia in 1855. She married Charles Langley in 1877 in the Mount Barker district. They moved to the Murtoa district where other members of the Langley family were living. In the 1890s, the Langleys moved to Halls Gap in the Grampians. In 1898, Alice’s son Arthur wrote a letter to “Uncle Ben” of the Weekly Times, describing the family’s life in the Grampians.
Later Alice and Charles leased the Morningside Guest House in Halls Gap
They then moved on to the Bellfield Guest House, also in Halls Gap.
“Advertising” The Age (Melbourne, Vic. : 1854 – 1954) 14 December 1907: 17. Web. 9 Aug 2018 <http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article205002162
“BELLFIELD”, HALLS GAP. Image courtesy of Aussie~mobs, Flickr https://flic.kr/p/2iA5DzZ
The Langleys moved to South Portland around 1909 and Charles took up farming. Alice attended St Stephen’s Church (below) and later in her life she became a life member of the St Stephen’s Ladies’ Guild.
Alice was also a great worker for the war effort, knitting socks during the two world wars. She lived to the great age of ninety-five and left two sons and two daughters.
You must be logged in to post a comment.