HICKS, Richard Ernest

NAME: Richard Ernest HICKS                                                                                         098



PLACE OF BIRTH:  Fitzroy North




UNIT: 14th Field Artillery Brigade (late 23rd Battalion, 7th Reinforcements)

EMBARKED:  26 November 1915

TROOPSHIP:  HMAT A73 Commonwealth

FATE:  Killed in Action – 17 October 1918 – Busigny, France


RICHARD ERNEST HICKS. Image courtesy of the Australian War Memorial https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/DA11301/

Richard Hicks was a son of George Hicks and Janet Herd and was born in 1889.  George and Janet were married in Deniliquin in 1879 where their first child Julia was born in 1880. They eventually moved to the Flowerdale area where Richard attended State school during the 1890s.  By 1903, George and Janet had moved to Cathkin near Alexandra.  Only a few years after they moved to Horsham, however, the 1909 Electoral Roll shows Janet living in Wilson Street, but not with George.  While in Horsham, Richard worked at the Horsham Butter Factory, an employee for over three years possibly as an engine driver.  By 1912, Janet had moved to Digby Road, Hamilton.  Her children were living with her and Richard was still working as an engine driver.

On 5 August 1915, Richard enlisted in Melbourne and went to camp at Flemington on 16 August.  He left Australia for Egypt in November 1916.  On 23 February 1916, he transferred to the 58th Battalion before moving across to the newly formed 14th Artillery Brigade as a gunner with the 53rd Battery. During his stay in Egypt, Richard sent his mother the following poem, published in the Hamilton Spectator on 9 March 1916.

"SOLDIER'S GREETING TO HIS MOTHER" Hamilton Spectator (Vic. : 1870 - 1918) 9 March 1916: 6. .

“SOLDIER’S GREETING TO HIS MOTHER” Hamilton Spectator (Vic. : 1870 – 1918) 9 March 1916: 6. <http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article133694367&gt;.

The brigade arrived in France on 3 June 1916 and spent time around Fromelles and Fleurbaix during July 1916.  On 21 August 1916, Richard was evacuated to hospital but was able to return two days later. On 17 March 1917, he had problems with rhinitis and spent time away from the brigade until May 1917.  By August, they were near Ypres, Belgium and the following month, Richard took two weeks leave.


THE 14TH FIELD ARTILLERY BRIGADE NEAR YPRES, BELGIUM, 28 SEPTEMBER 1917. Image courtesy of the Australian War Memorial https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/E00920/

On 21 April 1918, the brigade was near Hamel, France.  The brigade’s diary told the story of the day, “…the enemy aircraft were active and an enemy plane was brought down by the Lewis gunners of the 53rd Battery.” The pilot of that plane was none other Captain Baron von Richter or the “Red Baron”.  By June they were situated at Querrieu, France.

JUNE 1918 Querrieu. https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/A01919/

THE 14th FIELD ARTILLERY BRIGADE AT QUERRIEU, FRANCE JUNE 1918. Image courtesy of the Australian War Memorial https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/A01919/

On 6 September 1918, they crossed the Somme and moved into the town of Peronne, France (below).

6 September 1918 Crossing the Somme at Perone. https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/E03233/

THE 14th FIELD ARTILLERY BRIGADE CROSSING THE SOMME NEAR PERONNE, ON 6 SEPTEMBER 1918 Image courtesy of the Australian War Memorial https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/E03233/

By October 1918, the brigade was at Busigny, France fighting alongside the Americans.  On 17 October, Richard was positioned on the wagon lines near Busigny in a forward gun position. There was an air raid and a piece of shell struck Richard in the abdomen. Some of the men in his battery thought he would survive. Want happened to Richard from that time is vague. Stretcher bearers Sergeant Row and Jack Somers were reported to have carried him to a private house where an American doctor dressed his wounds.  He was still conscious but not talking. From there, the Australians lost track of Richard and he was reported missing.

Janet received the news at home, as did Richard’s brother George who with the end of the war was released from a German prison and was in England, some relief for Janet.  He began his own investigations into Richards disappearance.  He managed to track down men from the same brigade and began to piece together the events of the 17 October.  Leonard Kilby of the 14th Field Artillery Brigade said he carried Richard to an American dressing station. Letters were sent to the American Red Cross for information with little success. George concluded the Americans hadn’t reported Richard’s death

At home, Janet was beside herself not knowing where Richard was. She did not find out until the middle of 1919 that Richard definitely died on 17 October 1918.  The stress was seemingly too much. Janet died in May 1921 at sixty-four.

Richard Hicks is remembered on the Hamilton War Memorial.


Australian War Memorial – 14th Field Artillery Brigade Unit Diary

Australian War Memorial – Red Cross Missing and Wounded Files – Ernest Richard Hicks

Australian War Memorial – Roll of Honour – Ernest Richard Hicks

Australian War Memorial- WW1 Embarkation Roll – Ernest Richard Hicks

Commonwealth War Graves Commission – Serain Communal Cemetery Extension – Ernest Richard Hicks

Discovering Anzacs – WW1 Service Record – Ernest Richard Hicks

Newspaper Articles from Trove – Ernest Richard Hicks

The AIF Project – Ernest Richard Hicks



Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.